background

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IN THE LONG RUN








IN THE LONG RUN: A School for Today;
A Hope for the Future

It is a lovely African night. We just finished eating a traditional African dinner of matoke, rice and beans and my African siblings are currently outside running around playing and enjoying taking pictures with my camera. They pop in and out of the house every so often, pulling at my arm, trying to get me to play with them. Usually I would join them- playing games outside with them holds some of the greatest memories of my Study abroad experience. However, tonight is different. As I sit with my host father, I am fully captured by the conversation as he shares what’s on his heart. His voice is filled with much zeal and his eyes have a deeply focused passion, as if his vision to build a school for orphans was already fulfilled, and he was gazing directly at its completed structure. And through his real and hopeful explanation, I too was able to get a picture of what he envisions.
Last year I was blessed with the opportunity to study abroad in Uganda, Africa and developed a relationship with my Ugandan family through a five month host stay. This story, from only one of the many nights and conversations we had, has stuck with me the most since I have been back in America. It is heavy on my heart to partner with him to build a school in his village. However, through losing his wife due to an unfortunately common mobile accident, John Joseph Bumanye, has been struggling to be a single dad to his four young children. Nevertheless he is also a pastor, teacher, and student himself at the University and is still deeply committed to the Lord and connected with the people of his community in Mukono, Uganda.
“Children are the future of the nation. Orphans are also with hidden potentials that need discovering. Mothers need education as they are the ones who really have a heart for children so they need to be equipped in all aspects: health, nutrition, sanitation etc. once they are equipped they will pass the knowledge to children.”
- My Ugandan host father



According to the 2010 UNICEF report, there are over 2,700,000 orphaned children in Uganda. This number is overwhelming and when seeing the large number it’s easy to identify the need: millions of children without a mom and dad who need hope and care, but at a loss as to how to help.
Knowing that my host father has such a heart for his people, I fully believe in his vision and trust that building a school is the Lord’s plan. On our own we are small individuals but together we can make a huge difference.
On March 30th, 2012 I will be attempting the impossible in my mind of running the Badger Mountain 100 mile Ultra marathon challenge with the direct focus and motivation to help make my host father’s vision a reality. My goal is to raise funds that allow for the building of the school to continue as the construction has already begun and continues as funds are available. Because running is a passion of mine I want use it to encourage people to partner with me by donating a pledge per mile I run so that TOGETHER we can help. After the race I will then contact you with the final results. Because of his confidence, I am confident that my Ugandan father’s dream will become a reality. As I run each mile with the greater purpose in mind, each step toward the finish line will be one step closer in enabling orphans and mothers to thrive and obtain an education in Uganda.
“There are not many people who would wish to take up the responsibility of caring for the needs of orphans as many say it is costly. Are we not going to deny this world the many gifts that these orphans have? Something should be done to help them out as their parents are no longer living.”-My Ugandan host father
Thank you for your prayerful consideration and support.

Megan Hall
His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of the warrior; the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.
–Psalm 147:10-11
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you would like to contribute, please write checks payable Living Word Fellowship/Uganda and send checks to the following address: 490 NW Crosby Ave. Oak Harbor, WA 98277


No comments:

Blog Archive